About Visión Salinas
With bold initiatives, Visión Salinas is a project that works to coordinate various key planning programs and activities into a unified focus on the future of Salinas. Visión Salinas is working to combine and strengthen several planning activities currently underway both citywide and in specific districts, bringing these under an overarching umbrella. Visión Salinas is ultimately a platform for various city departments and community partners to build a cohesive and accessible future vision that inspires and makes our community members proud to call Salinas home.
Not only will Visión Salinas act as a bridge between the City's planning initiatives — it will also be the backbone to the City-wide bilingual community visioning and outreach effort, which will compile the input from residents to inform and guide the update of the General Plan in 2018.
The Three Plans
Visión Salinas consists of three bold plans, each working independently, yet collaboratively, to transform and strengthen the future of Salinas.
- The Alisal Vibrancy Plan is an action-oriented and community-driven process to address challenges and opportunities in the Alisal/ East Salinas area.
- The Chinatown Revitalization Plan is a community led process that builds on earlier visioning and planning programs to revitalize this Chinatown: a historic Salinas district, culturally, economically, and environmentally.
- The Parks, Rec, & Libraries Master Plan focuses on the system of parks, open space, and recreational facilities and programs.
Other Related Projects
- Carr Lake Visioning: a portion of Carr lake has recently been purchased by Big Sur Land Trust and a visioning process is beginning. For years, Salinas residents have dreamed of this large swath of land to be turned into a "central park." Stay informed by looking at the Visión Salinas calendar and signing up for updates to find out how you can participate in this visioning process.
- New Public Safety Center: the City has recently approved a new Public Safety Center in the Alisal Market Place district. Estimated completion is October of 2019!
- El Gabilan Library Project: The outreach process wrapped up in Spring of 2017 for the new El Gabilan branch library! The library will be an inviting place for community members and youth to come and learn, read, experiment and play.
For more information on these projects, click here to visit the "Other Related Projects" web page.